Post Treatment Instructions
PROFESSIONAL CONSIDERATE CARE
WHAT YOU SHOULD KNOW FOLLOWING TREATMENT
Following Root Canal Therapy or Root Canal Retreatment:
- The treated tooth is commonly sensitive or tender to touch, biting, tapping or chewing for a few days after treatment. DO NOT CHEW ON THAT SIDE.
- Do Not Chew hard foods until your tooth is protected by a crown. To do so might damage the tooth so much that it will have to be extracted.
- It is very important that you return to your family dentist for a crown or filling within three weeks after we have finished your root canal.
- You have a temporary filling in the top of your tooth. The temporary will wear down and may feel like it is all gone, but is is not. If you think the temporary filling is lost, please return back to our office so that we may check it for you.
- We usually recommend a non-steroidal anti-inflammatory medication such as Ibuprofen, Advil, Motrin or aspirin for at least three to five days following treatment. If you cannot take these medications, then take extra-strength Tylenol.
- Take all prescribed medication as directed.
- If you experience considerable pain or swelling, contact the office at once.
Following Surgical Endodontics (Apicoectomy):
- It is important that you apply ice outside your face over the area of surgery. Hold an ice pack on for 20 minutes then leave it off for 10 minutes. Do this as much as you can during the first 24 hours after surgery. Keeping the face cold will reduce pain, swelling, and bruising. Sleeping with your head elevated with an extra pillow the first night also may reduce swelling.
- Avoid hot temperature food and drinks for 48 hours. Leave the area of surgery alone for at least 2 days. Don’t lift or pull the lip or cheek (this could tear loose the stitches). If prescribed, gently rinse the surgical site twice daily with Peridex mouthwash. Avoid using a water pick on the gums near the surgery site for six weeks.
- Eat soft, nourishing foods (like eggs, cold soups, and malted milk) on the other side of the mouth. Gently rinse your mouth with plain water after eating. Be sure to get Vitamin C every day. Try to rest and avoid vigorous physical activity or exercise for 48 hours after surgery.
- If you have prolonged bleeding, excessive swelling, uncontrollable pain or if you have any questions, call 913-491-0056 or 1-866-RTCANAL.